Tuesday, October 18, 2011

New iPhone Catches Cheating Wife?

In conjunction with the release of iOS 5, Apple last week released “Find My Friends”, a new app which enables iPhone users to track the location of friends who have agreed to share their location data with a trusted group of people.

When Apple introduced the feature at their iPhone 4S media event, some of the use-cases proffered included finding friends when meeting up at the beach and tracking the location of road-tripping friends coming to see you to make sure they haven’t veered off course.

But with location sharing comes a number of important privacy issues. To this end, Find My Friends only works when a user agrees to share his/her location information.

But what happens when an iPhone toting user isn’t aware that his/her location is being shared?

Such was the case with a New York man who got his wife an iPhone 4S and enabled location sharing. Upon tracking her, he found her outright lying about her whereabouts, confirming his earlier suspicions that she was cheating on him - thought that point is purely circumstantial.

He posted the following synopsis on a MacRumors forum thread.

'I got my wife a new 4s and loaded up find my friends without her knowing. She told me she was at her friends house in the east village. I’ve had suspicions about her meeting this guy who lives uptown. Lo and behold, Find my Friends has her right there.'

'I just texted her asking where she was and she said she was on 10th Street!! Thank you Apple, thank you App Store, thank you all. These beautiful treasure trove of screen shots going to play well when I meet her a$$ at the lawyer’s office in a few weeks.'

No comments:

Post a Comment